For me, granola has got to have crunch! There’s nothing worse than an unsatisfying, soggy bowl of flakes first thing in the AM.
Quinoa and buckwheat make great partners, and used raw as the base for my granola, provide plenty of amazing minerals and are also super filling.
The second layer of my granola contains pumpkins seeds, chia seeds and raisins. these are wonderful ‘skin-foods’, with plenty of zinc, iron and protein.
For flavour, and stickiness, I made a syrup using coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon. Making the granola perfectly sweet and gluing all the goodness together.
Ingredients ( for one large jar )
– 1 cup raw quinoa
-1 cup raw buckwheat groats
-1/2 cup raisins
-1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
-1/2 cup coconut oil
-2 tblspn ground cinnamon
-2 tblspn chia seeds
-1/4 cup maple syrup
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl
- In a small bowl, melt the coconut oil (if waxy) and mix with the cinnamon and maple syrup
- pour the syrup over the dry ingredients and mix it all together really well using your hands or a wooden spoon
- Pour the mixture into a large baking tray and spread out evenly
- Bake for 45 mins at 180C ( keep a good eye on the mixture, and give it a mix up with a wooden spoon every 15 mins to make sure it doesn’t burn )
- Store in a large glass jar for up to a month
I love to serve my granola with dairy free coconut yogurt or almond milk and lots of toppings. I love bee pollen and Berries!